Talking about home, children, parenting, homeschooling, recipes, faith and much more. Hope you'll join me!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Do You Need Some Sabbath?


  That empty bench under the shade tree is calling my name...


It's a question that has been on my mind and heart ever since our music pastor asked in choir practice, "Does anyone need some Sabbath?"  Of course, when he asked that question, my hand shot up right away.  I thought later that if I was being really transparent, both of my hands should have gone into the air.  Maybe I should have just stood up!

Of course, just this last Wednesday, he walked past me in the lobby when I was talking to a friend of mine and caught me yawning and said, "you need some Sabbath!".  Don't I know it...

So, I've been thinking on this a lot...and realistically, I know (and you know) that life isn't structured to have time to truly rest every day, so we have to create or schedule the time.  If your days are anything like mine, they're filled with responsibilities, to-do lists, and errands.  There is always something to do!  

I confess that on Sundays, I do take a nap after church and lunch.  My family has been so gracious to give me that quiet time so I can re-group for another busy week.  I've found that my body is programmed now to expect it and sometimes I am falling asleep at the table! 

I've been thinking though...how can I get some semblance of Sabbath during the week?  Is it even possible?  I think it is.  I'm referring to times other than your devotional and prayer time (although that works well too!).

I know life is busy and it carries me away nearly every day with everything I need to accomplish, so I'm trying to be realistic in my expectations.

What do you think about these ideas for taking some Sabbath, rest, time during your week? 
  • Sitting on the patio and listening to the birds sing
  • Reading a good book for 30 minutes
  • 20-minute nap
  • Sipping your favorite beverage without doing anything else at the same time
  • A nice hot shower 
  • Going to the library or bookstore just to browse 
  • Coffee with a friend
  • Sitting on the front porch and watching the people go by
  • Playing a game with your children
  • Listening to great classical music 
  • Watching a 1/2 hour show 
These are things that appeal to me, but I'm sure there are many others you ladies could come up with...would you be willing to share? 

I'd love to hear how you incorporate some rest/quiet time into your week.

All my best to you today,

5 comments:

Kim Bauer said...

I do have some suggestions. I have never thought about it as my "sabbath" but I love that train of thought. Sabbath or not, I think it is critical for moms to figure out how to "revitalize" each day.

I wrote a post about it awhile ago that you might like.

http://www.confabulicious.com/90-magic-minutes-for-mom/

Blessings.

Kim
www.confabulicious.com

Iron Girl!! said...

Kim,
Loved your post! Great ideas! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Debbie Dillon said...

The first 4 suggestions on your list is what I love. I really look at that time as gifted from the Lord. It lets me sit in idle for just a little while. Just those few minutes give back so much!
Thank you for this. Great post - be blessed :)

Iron Girl!! said...

Thank you Debbie! Blessings to you too. :)

Ashley said...

Great ideas. It seems like Sundays are just days made for napping! It is as if the Lord gives us physical peace along with spiritual peace in church.